Help Support Community Media This December

For the third year, Colorado Media Project has selected The Denver North Star as one of 26 news outlets across the state for a matching grant of up to $5,000. The #newsCOneeds matching grant challenge supports locally owned and nonprofit news outlets who are recognized for journalistic excellence that are meeting the news needs of local communities. We’re honored to have been included every year since the paper launched.

Every dollar we raise between December 1 and December 31 will be matched up to a total of $5,000, including monthly contribution commitments. Please note that contributions to The Denver North Star are not tax deductible. 

In this last year, we’ve been growing our news team and you may have noticed the paper has grown in size from a small 12 page publication, at the height of the pandemic last year, to a regular 20 page edition up to 24 for our special election issue last month, allowing us to bring you more local news. We hope to use the funds to continue to expand our team, ensuring a diversity of voices in each issue. As printing costs have also risen sharply lately, we’ll be using some funds to alleviate our rising costs.

The Denver North Star is funded approximately 85% through local advertising with the other 15% coming from grants of this type and readers like you. That 15% is the difference between a smaller paper and an expanded one, tackling issues we can’t in a smaller edition.

If you’re reading this in mid-November, don’t break out your credit card or checkbook quite yet though – the grant matches year end giving between December 1 and 31st. 

If you want to donate online, click “become a member” here. We offer two membership levels online and are also hoping to use some funds to improve our website further.

If you’d like to make a contribution of a different amount, we also welcome checks, which have the added benefit of no processing fees, meaning your entire contribution comes to us. 

Simply make your check payable to “The Denver North Star” and mail to:

The Denver North Star
PO Box 11584
Denver, CO 80211

Our team enjoys helping inform our community, and we take reader input very seriously. In addition to your financial contribution, please reach out to us at with questions or story ideas of what you’d like to see in future editions of the paper. 

Finally, we’re also proud that our new sister publication,The G.E.S. Gazette, launched last month. If you’re looking for more news about North Denver or a bilingual news source in Denver, check it out at or look for copies on news racks in the G.E.S neighborhoods and RiNo Art District.

Thank you for your support.

David Sabados
Publisher and Editor
The Denver North Star
The G.E.S. Gazette


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.